Friday, December 12, 2014

The Amazing Hostel Sayulita



I love The Amazing Race show so when I discovered a hostel named The Amazing Hostel in Sayulita I knew I had to stay there.  I booked my stay through HostelBookers (not intentional but my review is on the front page for the hostel at the time of writing this post).  Although my hostel experience is limited, The Amazing Hostel is exactly that its amazing.  Further hostels will be compared to this hostel.  I loved it and the area so much I added an additional 2 nights to my week-long stay.


My pictures are horribly bad.  Goal for 2015: get better at photography.  The above pictures are from the girls 10 bed dorm.  The beds were comfortable and linen is included with your fee.  No blanket though but its beach town Mexico, blanket not needed.  The lockers were big enough for my stuff.  Bring your own lock.  The dorm room itself was large, exceptionally clean and quiet.  There is a bathroom as part of the dorm room but it is small (see shower photo below).  I preferred the ones available outside the rooms.  Shower is separate from toilet with a sink in the open.  Very convenient.


The last photo is looking through the common sitting area through the open air kitchen out towards the pool area. The stairs will take you up to another sun area and the outdoor handwash laundry area with clothes lines.  The very top photo shows the main sun deck with tiny pool and climbing wall.  There is a bbq spot and outdoor pool shower behind the photo op fake van. 

The kitchen is stocked with equipment if you choose to cook (microwave, toaster and stove top, no oven). Restaurant food is so reasonably priced that I found it difficult to homecook.  I did buy a few snacks and drinks for when I didn't feel like leaving the hostel; otherwise, I went out to eat.  I like how they kept the refrigerator.  Each guest is assigned a small plastic box to store their food in refrigerator with one shelf reserved for large bottles and shared food.  They have a filtered water machine to fill up your bottles so you can stay hydrated for free.

The hostel offers towel rental (20 pesos), Spanish lessons ($50US) and a friendly cat to pet (free).

Little did I know, since I'm not Canadian, among my fellow hostel guests were Mickey and Pete, winners of The Amazing Race Canada.  You can read about their adventures at their aptly named website, Mickey and Pete.  They really are just as nice in person as their print and video reviews say.

Best Features: clean, clean, clean! Spacious, close to center of town, friendly and helpful staff who speak English as well as other languages, plenty of outdoor relax chairs and lounges
Improvements: more hot water for showers, availability of blanket for chilly nights (not that those happened often)
Would I stay here again: ABSOLUTELY

No comments: