Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pinots in Portland


While in the Portland area, my plan is to try as many Pinot Noirs and Pinot Gris as my wallet will allow. While in town last week, I dropped by Thirst to try their Pinot wine flight. $17 for 4- 2 oz. pours.


  • Biggio Hamina '11 - meh. Light. Not so much flavor
  • David Hill Estate '10 - yummy. Heavy. Spice. Leather. Bold. Will try it again
  • Purple Hands '13- oh so good, completely opposite of the David Hill. Light, fruity, bright. A definite taste again
  • Hayden Road '09 - meh. Not bad. Not memorable though

  

My first visit to Portland in 2012 turned me onto Pinot Noirs. Burnside Brewery is where I fell in love with Amity Pinot. Oh man, is it good.  A little pricey by the bottle for me but well worth it.

A coworker gave me a bottle of King Estate Pinot Noir 2012.  It is one of the best I've tried.  Very smooth. Full fruit flavor.

Planet Oregon Pinot Noir 2012 is one that is sold by the glass at my work.  A mild wine that would be good for everyday drinking. Plus it has a cool label.

Viridian 2010 tastes low quality. Sharp alcohol start with a mellow finish.

Hopefully, there will be several more Pinot posts to come.



No comments: