Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bus Travel with Greyhound

On a recent trip to Chicago, I was determined to try different modes of travel.  Typically for me, it's always car, car, car with me driving of course.  Since I was traveling solo, I did not want the expense and hassle of driving my car with gas, tolls, and parking.  I checked out several options and decided on Greyhound.

I have not traveled by Greyhound bus since I was 4 yrs old.  Yes, I have traveled via tour bus and city bus so I'm not a complete bus novice.  For this trip, the date of departure was not decided until 1/2 hr before leaving.  Once decided, I scrambled quickly to purchase ticket on Greyhound's website.

Results - smooth operation.  Their online purchasing site is easy to use and navigate as was the rest of Greyhound's site.  You can choose to print your tickets or pick up at terminal.

I arrived breathless at the Toledo terminal with no clue what to do.  The desk clerk was very helpful and told me what to do quickly as I only had 5 minutes before my bus left.  In my decision to be more open, I even struck up a conversation with the gentleman sitting next to me on the bus.

Final results:
Toledo terminal - kinda gross. 
Employees - very nice. 
Bus - clean, didn't smell, comfortable temperature, comfortable reclining seat, made a dinner break and 2 smoke break (I don't smoke) stops.
Chicago terminal - very nice, large clean restrooms, lots of people around
Time - left 3:30 EST, arrived 8:30 CST - 6 hours
Cost - reasonable $42

My recommendation: I would travel Greyhound again.  Try it.  Here's their site.

No comments: