Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Burgers in Chicago

I have a thing for hamburgers, not traditional hamburgers which are plain with lettuce, tomato, and raw onion.  I love ones with STUFF on them.  If you know me, it is typically the same type of stuff over and over but I like to compare burgers.  Burgers are something I get mad cravings for every couple of weeks.  I wish I was more consistent with my food picture taking so I had pictures of each restaurants' burger for comparison.

The standard stuff I like on my burgers - cheese, bacon, fried or caramelized onions, bbq sauce.  I do venture off my standard path occasionally but I'm fairly predictable.

DMK Burger Bar

DMK Burger Bar was recommended to me by several people as The Place to go for burgers.  Well....that would not be my opinion.  I had the Aged Cheddar burger with caramelized onions.  The flavor didn't pop for me.  The burger was small and the bun...not my favorite.  However, the Amish Blue and Smoked Bacon fries and Chili Rubbed Onion Strings were amazing as well as the Not-So-Daiquiri Daiquiri.  I would definitely go back just for the daiquiri.  It is very rare to find a bar that can make a regular lime daiquiri or even know what I am referring to.  It was delightful.
Kuma's Corner
A terrible picture. My phone, at the time, took awful pictures.
Kuma's Corner is by far my favorite Chicago place to get a burger.  They also offer fantastic mac n cheese with a variety of add-ins. Yum yum. I've tried the Mastodon and Kaijo burgers.  I love the pretzel buns.  The burgers are huge and flavorful.  The atmosphere is heavy metal (not my first choice) but I love the heavily tattooed and pierced staff.  Kind of an anything-goes type of place. Kuma's is very popular and usually involves a long wait but it's well worth it.

Poag Mahone's
OMG! Try the Bacon, Beer and Shot burger at Poag Mahone's.  Wonderful. Good bun, great flavor, nice size.  Perfect.  I went during traditional happy hour.  The bar sported an afterwork white-collar crowd. 


Another of my favorites is the Hillbilly Paradise burger at The Squared Circle with cheddar, pulled pork, and bourbon bbq sauce.  This restaurant does an unique twist to burgers.  They stuff them.  My burger was stuffed with cheddar and topped with cheddar.  Hell yes!  Check out their menu with the different combination.  Ahhhh, now I'm hungry. 

Chicago offers so many places to get burgers that this will not be my last post on burgers. 

Have any recommendations for me?

No comments: